Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Mogens Wöldike's Haydn

This week I present what I believe to be the first recording of a Haydn symphony by the great Danish conductor Mogens Wöldike (1897-1988).  His stereo Vanguard recordings of Haydn symphonies with the Vienna State Opera Orchestra became famous, and rightfully so, but I don't think this particular symphony - No. 91 in E-Flat, one of three written in 1788 for the Count d'Ogny - was among that Vanguard series.

Haydn: Symphony No. 91 in E-Flat Major and
Haydn: Twelve German Dances (1792) - Nos. 1 to 6
Danish State Broadcasting Chamber Orchestra conducted by Mogens Wöldike
Recorded c. 1949
HMV Z 7016 through 7018, three 78-rpm records
Link (FLAC files, 63.01 MB)
Link (MP3 files, 27.34 MB)

4 comments:

  1. Excellent Bryan! Simply Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bryan - I am a Woldike admirer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fred, I knew you'd like it!...in fact I had you in mind while posting it. Buster, I also admire Woldike, especially in Haydn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bryan, thanks. I'm a Woldike fan too, and a huge Haydn lover, and have those late Vanguard issues. Looking forward to this one. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete